Mother’s Day is right around the corner this weekend, and we thought we’d share some ideas for our favorite simple things to do in Charlottesville with Mom.
Brunch or Ice Cream on the Downtown Mall
This is a no-brainer on a nice day, though it sounds like we’ll have rain for this weekend. The Downtown Mall has tons to do, so we thought we’d share just a few of our favorites:
- There are dozens of food options on the mall, but we’ve been enjoying Brasserie Saison as a great new selection! The Belgian eatery has delicious fries that are 200% Owen approved.
- Chaps Ice Cream is a staple, with old-school treats and delicious coffee.
- Visit the Cville Arts Coop for a last-minute gift, or let Mom choose something she loves! The Coop has handmade goods of every sort including some fabulous quilted cards that come highly recommended by Elizabeth. You could also pick up one of our fine wooden wares, as we’ve recently restocked our most popular items.
- For other cute gift ideas, we also love Rock Paper Scissors and Caspari. (as Elizabeth put it: Moms love Caspari.)
Visit a Vineyard or Cidery
This family loves a good vineyard picnic more than I can say. We’ve been to many over the years, so here are our favorites!
- Veritas Vineyard – this one tops many list for good reason. The scenery is lovely and the house cheese plate is tops. Wines are really excellent, and there are plenty of spaces to picnic if you’d like to bring your own food and sit outside.
- Afton Mountain – a smaller vineyard with excellent wines and friendly tasting staff. They recently finished their enclosed patio area in addition to their extensive picnic grounds, this one is absolutely a family favorite.
- King Family – The Crosé is a wonderful glass on a warm and sunny day (or if you wish it were a warm and sunny day!) and they also have an excellent patio setup. The winery is absolutely packed during the polo season (which kicks off Memorial Day weekend) so now is a good time to visit when it is slightly calmer!
- Bold Rock Cidery – The cidery offers an excellent tasting, and the building is beautifully nestled with decks and terraces, and lots of seating. This is definitely a family-friendly space!
Go for a hike
If your mom is into outdoor activities that are slightly more strenuous, try a hike! There are tons of trails are Charlottesville – these photos are from a family hike we did in 2013 at Crabtree Falls (which is also dog-friendly!)
Hope you and your family enjoy an excellent Mother’s Day this weekend, wherever you may be celebrating.